Sunday, February 20, 2011

Read. Reflect. Respond

Hi all, this was what Ms Ku sent out to us and what some of the seniors' response in Nov 2009.

Yep, 2009, the year which we got our 3rd consecutive GWH.

I know some of the seniors might have read these, but do read through it again and reflect on what we can do to achieve what we want & not disappoint Ms Ku and all those who had pin their hopes on us .

No matter what you do/feel after you read through this long post, I hope that all of you can remember this:

It takes hard work and long years to build up a golden reputation, but it only takes seconds to destroy everything that you've been working so hard for.

We spent months practicing, memorizing, tearing over the blisters that appeared on our hands, and after all these hard work, and everything is going to go down the drain during the 5 mins that we are on stage?

I urge all of you not to make it so. None of us wish DHSSE to be laughed at, do we?

-Xin Yan

---

Dear All,
2009 has been a most remarkable year in the 15 years of SE's existence. It saw many firsts---first time it was proclaimed the top string ensemble, first time we realized our dream of establishing a JC ensemble AND placing it on a competitive stage, first time we own a room (not shared with MEP or an afterthought from the school)... and the first time I regret not dissolving SE when Mr Tan suggested it ten years ago.

Since 29 April 2009, many people have come to tell me "SE has come a long way". It certainly has. From 7 members to nearly 60 today, each additional member is a result of months/years of pleading. Each event, be it camp, concert, overseas trip, caroling or busking, is the accumulation of painful, hard-learned experience over the 15 years. Each folder in the library reflects hours of begging, stealing, typing and zapping.

Over the past two weeks, I have come to realize all our efforts have been in vain. What is SE today? A proud and complacent bunch who can't play a tenth as well as most other string ensembles but finds it not worthwhile to learn from fellow peers, committee members who despise their own posts, various individuals who think it reasonable to skip practices and training camps and prioritize their private activities, and others who attempt to reduce SE to a second cca.

Instead of calculating what SE can do for you, perhaps, for the first time in your life, think of what you can do for SE. I don't have to spell out what SE has done to each and every one of you. Without SE, half of you would not be playing a string instrument today, and the other half would either be still scraping away mournfully in the misery of your bedroom or buried your instrument out of frustration. Not to mention the friends you have made, the knowledge gleaned, awkward techniques overcome by peer support/pressure, comradeship shared especially in bad times.

If SE continues in its present condition, I believe it is time to end its glorious existence. Better to finish at the peak than to witness its downfall. Let's just say we have let our seniors and alumni down.

MKu

---

I have no idea what happened or why it happened but for Ms Ku to write this email and announce that she regrets not dissolving SE simply breaks my heart.

Please don't allow this to happen. SE has played such an important role in my life and I don't want to see part of my memory vanish especially not in the hands of you guys. I've seen you all play! Top ensemble! Achieved thru sheer hard work and guidance. Please don't throw this away. You will regret it so much.

Please think about the good times, the bad times, the fun times, and sad times, and all the times you've been thru with SE.

I beg you to wake up. Please.

-Nicole

---

Dear Juniors,
Just some 7 months ago, DHSSE was given the top ensemble status, for which we (Year 6s) dare say that you deserved it. In that moment of triumph, it would be easy for all, if not most of you to say "I love SE" , " may the passion/ honours burn on" and what not. However, if you sincerely meant what you said back then, it is perhaps timely to reflect upon the appropriate attitude that you should have.

There is only so much that teachers or seniors can say about how 'SE has come a long way' because of efforts put in by previous batches of SE members. Ultimately, it is the tangible actions that you take now which determine SE's future.

We hope that the situation improves when we drop by for your holiday practices after our exams.

Please keep the right spirit going.

Year 6s '09

---

Dear DHSSE,

I have the urge to pen down a long note but I shall try to do a short one for now, cause I'm a little busy at the moment. I agree very much with the Year6s and Nicole. Ms Ku usually doesn't pen such emails unless she really feels the need to do so. I just want to say, remember all your enthusiasm and passion when you guys declared your love for SE during the post-SYF period, through MSN status nicks and all. Where is all that passion today?

Perhaps after clinching the Gold with Honours (which we did deserve at that point in time), you guys have gotten really complacent. I'm sure all of you do know (or at least have an idea) of the shape you're in right now, and what your music sounds like currently. I'm sure you don't want to go to practices and play not-very-nicely and question, doubt or even feel embarrassed of your "Gold with Honours" award. Perhaps you might feel rather "sian" or discouraged because it feels like an uphill task to climb back to where you all were months ago, but I'm telling you, you guys can do it if you really put your hearts into it. Don't think that because you don't have strong players or whatever, you have to make lousy music. DHSSE has never been about the individual but the spirit, power and sound of a group.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm guessing if the problem is about attitude, maybe you guys don't feel any motivation to work towards anything right now. Thing is, you don't always have to wait till SYF to prove your worth. You shouldn't. And don't wait for someone else to start doing something. And don't think that you have to be somebody to start doing something. If anyone of you feels that you want to do something about the situation, just go ahead, be brave and take the initiative. There will be people who will appreciate what you are doing.

I don't expect it to be easy, perhaps even more difficult for some sections. But I urge everyone to just try, and do something about it. If you feel that you can't solve something on your own, or if you have some opinions/ideas, do talk to Ms Ku about it and I'm sure she'll be very happy to discuss it with you. With this, I must bring extra attention on the leaders, be it organizational leaders like chair/vice-chair or musical leaders like CM/section leaders. Work together right now, hold meetings and term it the "Save-the-SE" meeting or something (gives it more urgency and impetus). Introduce new initiatives, organize bonding activities, come up with fun ideas to improve spirit, and get things effectively organized. Be aggressive about it if you like, at least that's better than nothing at all. You need to be strong in times like this. Of course, let me stress again, you guys are expected to take the initiative, but it doesn't necessarily have to be you guys. Everyone has the right and responsibility to do so.

I think I am making quite a lot of assumptions and doing some guesswork here and there, hence I apologize if I'm making any wrong statements. I don't know how much this will help, and talk is cheap, but I really hope SE will remain a wonderful place for everyone because it takes up a special place in my heart, as well as that of Ms Ku's, many other seniors and alumnis, and I hope it's the same for you guys too. I believe all of you love making music together. Let's find that passion back, orientate our minds in the right frame and attitude, andkeep the love going. Words can't describe the extent to which I miss playing in an ensemble.

Oh my gosh now that wasn't exactly a short one -.- My bad habit to be long-winded. If there's anything I can do, let me know, or if any of you wants to discuss about something, I can always offer a listening ear or opinions and suggestions. I'm just an email away (:

Meanwhile, to all Year6s taking the A levels, all the best!

Mei Hui

---

(the words in red were highlighted by me)

No comments: